Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week 7 - GIS Data Search Lab

Hi fellow Argonauts.   I had a good week GIS-wise this week.   I really enjoyed both lab assignments.  I'm even starting to feel a bit more comfortable in Adobe Illustrator (Not comfortable enough to use it without being required to though.....) 

Here are my maps for this week's assignment.   I really wanted to get all the required elements into 2 maps instead of three, but I couldn't pull it off.   So here are the 3 maps:

And here is my Process Summary for this lab:
1.       Read the Lab Instructions through
2.       I see that my assignment is Jefferson County (the neighboring county to the one I live in)
3.       Reviewed the Process Summary questions as instructed
4.       Copied over the data from the R: drive to my folder on s:
5.       Opened ArcMap
6.       I noticed that the data wasn’t called “ClipPractice” or a file called ClipData so I grabbed the Datasearch.zip file and will see if it is the right one.
7.       Enabled the “Spatial Analyst” extension
8.       In the lab notes I see we are to add FL_railroads and Flager_County layers, but I see Flagler_county and rails_2008.   Again I am going to assume these are the proper files.
9.       Yes, it looks like the data matches the lab instructions.
10.   Opened my ArcToolbox
11.   Opened the search window and used the search tool to find and open “Clip (Analysis)”
12.   I selected rails_2008 as my input feature
13.   For “Clip Features” I chose Flagler_county
14.   I set my Output feature class at S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\Flagler_railroads.shp
15.   I clicked OK to run the tool
16.   Answered Question 1
17.   Answered Question 2
18.   I used the search tool to find the “Extract By Mask”
19.   Started Part 2 of the assignment to collect the necessary data as it relates to Jefferson County
20.   Started by getting the County boundary layer from last weeks assignment as suggested on Page 5 of the lab instructions
21.   Started a new MXD and added this data
22.   Did a Select By Attributes function to highlight Jefferson County
23.   Created a Layer from Selected Features of Jefferson County
24.   Exported the data out to a JeffersonCounty shapefile
25.   Removed the original cntband layer
26.   Removed the selection layer
27.   Zoomed to extent
28.   Visited FGDL to see what data I might find there
29.   Filled out the Metadata for CITIES
30.   Used the “Clip” tool to exclude non-Jefferson Points and saved the results here: S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\MainProject\JeffersonCities.shp
31.   Removed the cities_feb04 data
32.   For Public Lands I found the “FLORIDA PARCEL DATA BY COUNTY – 2010” data and downloaded it for Jefferson.   It had info on ALL parcels so I thought it was too much but then looked at the data and saw that there was a PUBLICLND field that had several codes in it.   I selected by attribute to chose all the one that had a non blank value in this field and then researched the metadata
33.   I created a layer from the selected features and then exported it out as JeffersonPublic (I like to have the source data all in Shapefile form).   I removed unnecessary layers from the map.
34.   I looked at the metadata to see what the PUBLICLND codes were and found the following (To use for my Symbology)
Value
Description
F
Federal
S
State
C
County
M
Municipal, City, Town
D
Special Taxint District
W
Water Management Districts
P
Other Public
35.   Gathered my metadata for this layer
36.    Next I researched Roads and found the FDOT Major Roads in Florida layer and downloaded
37.   Use the clip tool to get the data into S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\MainProject\JeffersonRoads.shp
38.   Cleaned up unneeded layers from the map.
39.   Filled out Roads Metadata
40.   I’ll want to come back to do the road symbology.
41.   For the Hydrography I found the “USGS 1:24,000 HYDROGRAPHY – POLYGON” and downloaded the proper one for Jefferson county.   Looking at the symbology to only get the major features
42.   Filled out metadata for Surface Water
43.   For my first Environmental layer I found a good one on Invasive Plants called - FLORIDA INVASIVE PLANTS - JUNE 2010 by the Florida Natural Areas Inventory
44.   Filled out the metadata on this
45.   Clipped the data and saved it here: S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\MainProject\JeffersonPlants.shp
46.   Cleaned up map
47.   Next I looked at the Strategic Habitat Conservation areas and found the INTEGRATED WILDLIFE HABITAT RANKING SYSTEM (IWHRS) FOR FLORIDA – 2009 from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
48.   I used the “Extract by Mask” tool to create S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\MainProject\JefHabitats
49.   metadata on this layer
50.   Next I downloaded my DOQQ info
51.   I did this by going to the LABINS web site and determining the number of the quad I wanted to get around the Monticello area.   Mine was 5132
52.   Downloaded all of the associated files for the 5132to this location: S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\DownloadedData\DOQQ
53.   Tried to add it but saw that I will need to reproject first.   Dug up my lab notes from last week
54.   Opened ArcCatalog
55.   Verified that the Spatial Reference was undefined on the DOQQ’s
56.   Modified the Spatial Reference on all the images to be NAD 1983 HARN Florida GDL Albers (Meters)
57.   Verified visually that the DOQQ was lining up with the layers now.
58.   Now I am reading the instructions on how to get my DEM
59.   I found I needed to use Google Chrome to get to the site rather than IE
60.   Zoomed into my county
61.   Chose the area to download
62.   Clicked the Download button
63.   Unzipped all my data here S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\DownloadedData\DEM\NED_38365443
64.   I added the DEM to the project and built the pyramids
65.   Made sure that Spatial Analyst was enabled and used the Extract by Mask Tool. And moved the data out to:   S:\IntroGIS\Week 7 - GIS Data Search\MainProject\JefDEM
66.   Followed the directions to reproject the DEM.   The bottom part of my DEM is very dark, so curious if this is supposed to be this way or not.  
67.   I went and looked at the Seamless viewer again and indeed this is the case.   There is a big drop-off where the land gets very low and flat
68.   Answered questions 3, 4, and 5
69.   Now that I have all my data, I need to figure out the best way to lay it out.   I want to minimize the number of maps used while not sacrificing any information.
70.   First I want to determine what my “Base” layers will be.  This will help me determine how many maps to make
71.   I have sketched out on a piece of paper my vision of my design.  
72.   After a few hours of work I have 3 maps that incorporate all of the elements of this assignment.   I really tried to get it down to two maps, but couldn’t do it without making the maps unreadable
73.   Verified all of my metadata
74.   Turned in my assignment to Dropbox and Blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment