Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cartography Week 7 - Chorpleth Maps

Here are my two maps for this week's assignment.    I feel much more comfortable with the layers aspect of Illustrator now.   Next week I am going to really try to concentrate on some of the design features of Illustrator to make my maps a little less plain.


Here is my Process Summary for this week's lab:
Process Summary
1.        Copied the data from the R: Drive to my S: Drive
2.       Started ArcMap
3.       Added the state_pop shape file
4.       I used the PROJECT tool to change to North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic
5.       Changed the symbology to “Quantities” and chose a graduated color scheme
6.       I looked at the natural breaks.  Whenever I tried to adjust the breaks then it said that the classification was “Manual” rather that natural breaks.   So I left this at the 5 natural breaks it recommended.
7.       I set up my layers including breaking our Alaska and Hawaii to their own layer as well as the continental US.   Next I will get the scale bar to work with the continental US
8.       I really feel like I have become more familiar with Illustrator over the last couple of weeks.   It seems like making sure you have your layers set up really simplifies things.
9.       Now starting Part 2
10.   Opened Excel and the tab.xls file
11.   Set up a column called Population change and set the formula to =C2-D2
12.   Set up a column called Percent change and set the formula to =F2/D2
13.   Changed this column to a percentage
14.   Next I copied the data to a new tab and totaled my state values based on the region for the gray scale map.   These are my results:
New England
5.4%
Middle Atlantic
5.5%
East North Central
7.5%
West North Central
8.9%
South Atlantic
18.8%
East South Central
12.2%
West South Central
17.8%
Mountain
33.0%
Pacific
15.1%
15.   First I worked on my Deliverable 1 (Color).   I made sure to move the colors in the legend together like the text recommended.
16.   Since it also had negative values, I also used the word “to” instead of dashes.
17.   I made sure to note that Alaska and Hawaii were NOT to scale
18.   I made sure to include all of my required map elements
19.   I copied this project over to start my gray scale map
20.   I consulted Color Brewer and it suggested these five colors for a black and white system:
21.  
22.   I actually pasted that screen shot into my map and used the eyedrop tool to get the colors for each level
23.   I exported both my maps to JPG and created my blog post
24.   Updated all deliverables to dropbox
25.   I feel like I am comfortable with the layers aspect of illustrator now, and now I want to start working on the tools in Illustrator that will make my maps look a little less “plain”

No comments:

Post a Comment