Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Georeferencing Rasters

Here is my Map for this week's assignment.



Process Summary

1.      Read entire lab
2.      Task 1 – Read the article at the link provided.
3.      Watched the video.  This looks like it will be a very powerful tool.
4.      Added this week’s  ZIP data from the repository to my S: Drive
5.      Opened ArcMap and added the Buildings and Roads shapefiles
6.      Added uwf_n.jpg file by dragging it from ArcCatalog
7.      It shows up nowhere near the shapefiles (which is to be expected)
8.      Opened the Georeferencing Toolbar
9.      Did a “Fit to Display” from the georeferencing toolbar to get the imagery to show around the general area that the shapefiles are located
10.  Set my 5 Control Points
11.  Expanded this to include 10 control points
12.  Answered Questions 1 and 2.
13.  Completed the “Update Georeferencing” command
14.  Verified that the uwf_n.jgw file exists and looked at the layer properties and saw the spatial reference as 1983 HARN State Plane
15.  Added the uwf_s1.jpg to my map and used the “Fit to Display” command
16.  Added my six control points
17.  Added additional control points (for a total of 12) to experiment with the different levels and their effect on the RMSE error.   You can see Question 3 and Question 4 for more information on these steps.
18.  Updated the Georeferencing on the south imagery
19.  Removed the Background color from the south map
20.  Moved the North file about the south file.   Unfortunately I see I have a gap in between my north and south values so I may have done something wrong.   I went back and tried doing it with the 2nd order polynomial and this gave me a MUCH better looking result
21.  Used the Editing toolbar to trace the gym and give it the attributes such as building number and height.
22.  Used the editing toolbar to add the road.   Always have to be sure that I “finish sketch” before saving.   Set my Attributes to show “Campus Ln” and a suffix of Ln and Description of “Lane” similar to the other roads.
23.  Opened up ArcScene
24.  Added all of the layers as listed in the lab.
25.  Set each layer’s properties to float on top of the UWF_DEM
26.  Set the Extrusion levels to give the buildings their height
27.  Set the Scene Exaggeration to 5
28.  Positioned the scene the way I wanted to see it
29.  Exported this out to a 2 dimensional JPEG
30.  Used ArcGIS to add my standard map necessities (legend, neatline, title, etc…)
31.  Filled out my metadata.
32.  Submitted my map to the dropbox and posted to blog

This project was really a lot of fun with the 3D aspect of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment