Friday, March 30, 2012

Lab 10 - Flow Mapping

Here is my map and Process Summary from this week's "Flow Mapping" lab.
Process Summary:
1)              Read the lab materials
2)              Added the world.shp and states.shp shapefiles to the mxd
3)              Added scale, neatline, north arror etc… to the mxd
4)              Exported this out to an Adobe Illustrator file
5)              Ordered my layers in Illustrator
6)              Applied countries to each of the regions that will be addressed in the map.   Chose to include Greenland as part of Europe color-wise based on its Wikipedia article
7)              Ran my calculations on my Excel data to determine my line widths
8)              Added my lines to the map.   I felt that one of the things that the chapter emphasized that I didn’t see on some of the other blogs was the concept of making sure the line widths kind of added up together to form the new line width.   I tried to do this but it involved making my custom “arrowhead” instead of the built in ones that Illustrator provides.    Logistically I couldn’t get all my arrows to come into one place, so I broke it into two arrows coming into the US.
9)              Cleaned up the various map elements to get it ready for submittal
10)          Completed Metadata
11)          Uploaded to Dropbox and Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment