Saturday, March 10, 2012

Vector Analysis II

Here is my map and process summary for this week's assignment.    It was nice to fire up Python since the programming aspect of GIS is where I think my career path will eventually take me.



PART III: Process Summary Details
1.      Read entire lab (found this to be very helpful)
2.      Copied the data from the R: drive to my S: drive
3.      Started ArcGIS
4.      Added the “roads” data layer
5.      Opened up the Toolbox -> Analysis -> Proximity to find the Buffer tool
6.      Set my Output Feature class to be S:\IntroGIS\Week 9 -Vector Analysis II\Roads_Buffer.shp
7.      Added the Water shapefile to my MXD
8.      Added the “buffdiff” field to the attributes
9.      Selected all the lakes by the TYPE attribute and set the buffdist to 150
10.  Switched selection to lakes and set the buffdist to 500
11.  Cleared all selected features
12.  Created my next buffer and set to be saved as S:\IntroGIS\Week 9 -Vector Analysis II\Water_Buffer.shp
13.  Turned on the Roads and Roads_Buffer layers to see it all at once.
14.  Opened the ArcPy window
15.  Answered Q1
16.  Set up my command and ran it
17. Saved my work
18.  Answered Q2
19.  Added the fields to the Buffer layers and set them to equal 1
20.  Set the union tool parameters
21. Ran the tool
22.  Answered Q3
23.  Completed my union then set up the “Select By Attributes” to select the features where both of the inside buffers = 1.
24.  Exported the selection then added this back to the map.
25.  Turned off all layers except Roads, Water, and Buffer_Union_Export
26.  Answered Q4
27.  Added the conservation_areas to the project.
28.  Answered Q5
29.  I ran the Multipart to SinglePart tool
30.  Added the area column and noticed that the units are in square meters.
31.  Answered Q6
32.  Prepared the MAP jpeg and Process summary to turn in.


No comments:

Post a Comment