Friday, March 9, 2012

Lab 8 - Proportional Symbol Mapping

Fellow Argonauts,

Here is my submission for Week 8.   I struggled more with this lab than I have with the other labs.   It really makes me appreciate the power of ESRI's ArcGIS software to automate some of these features rather than doing them by hand like I did this week.




Process Summary
1)               Copied the data from the R: drive to my S: drive
2)               Read through the entire lab once to see what I’ll be doing
3)               Watched the Shape Tools video about Illustrator
4)               Started ArcMap
5)               Added the WHO European region to the map (from ArcGIS Online)
6)               I struggle with the process of re-projecting this.   I discussed it with a few students on the forum and finally Anne posted that you actually have to re-open the system fresh and add that re-projection as the first item in order to see the benefits of it.   Good to know for future labs and real-world use !
7)               Visited the wineinstitute.org site and went to the statistics area to download the PDF for the World Wine Consumption by volume
8)               Copied all of the data in to the Excel spreadsheet that was provided.
9)               Prepared my map for export to Illustrator by setting up my scale bars, titles, information, neat lines, etc…
10)           Exported to Illustrator
11)           Opened in Illustrator
12)           Set up my layers
13)           Arranged the Map in Illustrator to clean up some non-essential countries (Greenland, etc)
14)           Worked on my Excel file to calculate next
15)           Set the SQRT column
16)           Entered a fomula to compute the MAX of the column and then used this to help build the column with the parameter size.
17)           Placed my circles in Illustrator.  
18)           This lab fought me every step of the way.   If there was something wrong to be done, rest assured I did it.   I guess that is why I am taking these classes, to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment