Thursday, June 21, 2012

Washington DC Crime Mapping

Here is my latest work on the Homeland Security project for Washington DC Crime mapping.


And here is my Process Summary for part 3 & 4 (which were the only parts required this week)

STEP 3: Produce a Map of Police Stations with Crime Proximity
1) Used my DCMaps template to create my new crime2.mxd document
2) Exported some of my symbolized data to layer files so I could use them more easily
3) Ran the Multiple Ring tool from the Analysis tools in the toolbox.   Set at .5, 1 and 2 miles
4) On the next step, it would not let me add a field on the Crime data until I exported it to be part of the GDB file.
5) Set the new Event field to 1 using the calculator
6) Performed my spatial join to create the buf_crime
7) Removed buffer from the TOC
8) Answered Q7 & Q8
9) On Q9 I have an interesting issue.   My sum of events doesn’t match my original count of crimes (off by 61).   So I am going to do my best to answer Q9.
10) Answered Questions 9-12
11) Prepared my deliverable (I went with an 11x17 map, I hope that is acceptable).

STEP 4: Produce Density Maps of Burglaries, Homicide, and Sex Abuse Crimes
1) Created my crime3.mxd
2) Added the Crimes to it (with the added Events column)
3) Selected all the burglaries
4) Answered Question 13
5) Ran the spatial analysis on the Crime density using the different buffer values
6) Saved the 1500 version out as a layer file
7) Answered Q14
8) Created my additional data frames and set the coordinate systems all to match.
9) Next worked on homicide and Sex Abuse maps
10) Answered Q15
11) Answered Q16
12) Prepared the map deliverable for this assignment.
13) Posted to dropbox and blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment