Saturday, July 14, 2012

Urban Planning - GIS for Local Government

This week's multipart exercise had a lot of interesting aspects to it.   Having been around offices that have dealings with parcel information, I can vouch for the usefulness of this type of knowledge.

Without further delay, here are some of my maps from this week's assignment:



Process Summary:
OBJECTIVE 2:
1) Created a new blank MXD and saved as Parcels.mxd
2) Added the Parcels Feature Class from the results.gdb
3) Looked at the attributes and noticed the owner names are missing.
4) Opened the CSV in Excel and deleted the last column since it is unsupported.
5) Saved and closed the CSV
6) Added the CSV to the map
7) I had some problems on my join until I renamed the PARCEL field in Excel to PARCELID.  Then my join seemed to work properly.
8) Exported my join out to the Results.gdb as Parcels_Join
9) Selected the key parcel by attribute and exported it as Zuko_Parcel to the Results.gdb
10) Did a select by location to choose all the parcels that intersected our parcel.  Answered Q10
11) Exported these out as ADJ_Parcels
12) Added the zoning feature class
13) Clipped the zoning feature class to the adjacent parcels
14) Created the Parcels_Zone feature class by using the Intersect tool
15) Anseered Q11
16) Added a MAPKEY Field to the table and set it to be the same value as the OBJECTID_1 field
17) Having a problem because when I intersect the Adjacent Parcels and the Zoning, I end up with 25 features instead of 9.   Most of the excess are small slivers where the polygons don’t quite match up.
18) I was able to get around this in an unusual way.   I created a JOIN on my Adjacent Parcels with the Parcels_Zone feature class using the MAPKEY field.   This gave me the ZONING info I needed.   Not sure if this was the best approach overall, but it worked in this case.
19) Update, it didn’t work in this case.   The zoning appears to be wrong
20) I finally had to move past this problem by setting a tolerance of 5 feet which returned 10 records (Two for parcel 9)    I deleted the smaller of these parcels to get down to my count of 9.    Still not sure why this was the case, but needed to move on.
21) Added all my required map elements to prepare for deliverable
OBJECTIVE 3:
1) Saved the MXD as Zoning_DDP to start next section
2) Ran the Grid Index Features from the Data Driven Pages part of the Cartography Tools and got my 24 results
3) Ran the Select by location to weed these indexes down to 12
4) Exported these records out to a Zoning_Index table
5) Added my zone descriptions to the table
6) Created a new Data Frame to separate the index from the content
7) Added the Data Driven Pages toolbar
8) Ran the Data Driven Pages Setup wizard
9) Added the Page number Dynamic Text
10) Added the locator map and set the properties to see which section we are currently working on.
11) Added dynamic text for a few fields
12) Added my Required Map Elements
13) Exported out to a PDF for all 24 pages.
14) I noticed that it changed the settings on my scale bare from .1 to .11 which I don’t like.   Not sure how to fix this problem unfortunately.   I look at my original document and it still shows .1

No comments:

Post a Comment