Friday, October 12, 2012

GIS 4944 - Dream Jobs

GIS 4944 - Dream Jobs

I use the GIS Jobs clearinghouse website to try to stay inspired to keep learning new skills: http://www.gjc.org/gjc-cgi/listjobs.pl
My current dream job would be classified as a GIS Developer. An example of the skillset I am trying to develop is listed in this job (but not keen on the fact that it is in the Cayman Islands) http://www.gjc.org/gjc-cgi/showjob.pl?id=1349894170 What have I been doing to prepare for this type of career? Well in addition to the UWF GIS Certificate class I have been developing my programming, database, and GIS skills during my day job. I also have built up a library of books on related technologies that I plan to dive into after the semester has finished. In particular, I want to really learn HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and Python more in depth. I also want to keep improving my current skills in SQL Server and Visual Studio. I am also volunteering at a local not for profit agency that will give me a great chance to boost up my GIS Programming skills. Again, I will really have more time to invest in this once school winds down.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment