Friday, January 13, 2012

Map Critique Overview

Bad Map Example
I wanted to try to find an example of a bad map in the city where I live, Tallahassee, Florida.  The map I found was for a company called “Reddy Ice” and the map on their web site looks like this:
I selected this map because it could be made so much better with only minor modifications.  For example:  
  • What is the name of that main road to the south?  
  • Are there smaller roads that lead from this unlabeled road to the address?  
The size of the map could be expanded to show this information more clearly since there is a lot of unused white space on this particular web page.  
Good Map Example
The map I selected as an example of a "Good" Map is a spatial representation of Area Codes in the state of Florida as provide by http://www.insideflorida.com/map/florida-area-codes/    I have a pet peeve when I look at my phone and see an incoming call from an Area Code that I don't recognize.  A simple yet effective map like this can sit at my desk and show me at a glance where the call may be coming from if it is Florida based.

* Note on both maps:  Both maps were re-sized to fit the width of this blog.
One interesting thing I discovered during this lesson is the overwhelming use of Interactive maps (usually Google) by companies when showing their location to their customers.  I am going to make a point to look at more of the printed literature for companies and see how they handle their Cartography without these interactive tools.

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,

    I, too, noticed many interactive maps, some good, some bad. Some very informative, but others cluttered with map crap. I thought about using one in particular for my good map, but the one I actually used I like better.

    I love the Florida area code map. I wonder what it looked like 30 years ago when I was growing up in the Pensacola area, and the area code there was still 904. I might have to research that one:-)

    ReplyDelete