Friday, January 13, 2012

Overview ArcGIS10 Lab

Here is my first attempt at creating a map for the Introduction to Geographic Information Systems class.

PART III: Process Summary Description



1)      Used the link to log into the Remote Desktop

2)      Started ArcGIS

3)      Coped the data from the R: drive to the S: Drive

4)      Unzipped the data to S:\Overview_ArcGIS\OverviewArcGIS

5)      Added the “World_Countries” layer

6)      I saved my work as S:\DJ\OverviewGIS\Lab1.mxd

7)      Practiced using the tools (Zoom, Pan, Etc.)

8)      Opened the Attribute Table

9)      Practiced Attribute Table Skills (Pan, ZoomTo, Sort)

10)   Practiced the Select and Clear Select tools

11)   Performed the Identify and Find tasks as prompted

12)   Switched the Coordinate system to Degrees/Minutes/Seconds to get answer to Q3

13)   Measured the length for Q4 (It was approximate since I just picked a straight line across the width at what seemed the widest point of the country

14)   Added the “Cities” layer to the MXD

15)   Changed the symbology on the countries for their 2007 Population numbers

16)   Experimented with Layout mode.   I had a little trouble her positioning the map in order to have it not overlapping the legend and north compass.   Ended up jumping back and forth between the view modes to position the data.

17)   Inserted the Layout elements as requested (Title, legend, scale bar, North Arrow, textbox for my name and data attribution)

18)   Reviewed the help system.    Wasn’t sure how to properly cite the source to avoid any plagiarism policies.   I tried to list them as exact quotes that were used for the purpose of proving we understood how to retrieve the data.

19)   I archived my data to my H: directory at H:\DJ\OverviewGIS       In this folder I have my Lab1.MXD, my Lab1.jpg picture, and I have made a subfolder for the source data for future reference.   
I really enjoyed this lab and it was a great introduction in how to use the tools that UWF is providing for us.

1 comment: