Sunday, January 29, 2012

Learning GIS Overview - Week 3

Part 1 - San Diego Tourism

Here is my Map that concerns the San Diego Zoo from the ESRI Lab exercise.   I modified some of the symbology (the airport and zoo).   I tried a blue background to make it seem like a sunny destination to visit.
Process Summary:
Exercise: Planning a Trip to San Diego

1)Opened the document.  Followed instructions to work with Frames, zoom, and pan
2) Turned on Hotels, Labeled them, used Find Utility.   Used Identify Tool to find Phone Number
3) Went through various example of using distance tool, and found some of the big landmarks
4) Worked on producing an interesting map of the Zoo Area (I choose to show it in relation to the   Airport and Hotels for more of a general “feel” of how far these features were apart as opposed to providing turn by turn direction.   I changed the inset map to be based on California rather than the whole USA.   I used some custom symbols for the Airport and the Zoo.
5)Had some trouble locating the metadata as noted above.
6) Created JPG map of final results for submittal.

Part 2- Youth Center
Here is my submission for the possible locations of a Youth Center based on Spatial information. I took some liberties in imagining that the organization was called the "Gold Star Center" to spruce it up a bit.



Process Summary:
Exercise: Find Potential Sites for a Youth Center
1. Opened the YouthCenter Map
2. Explored the various data as the lab suggested
3. Created the Union of the City Zone and Census data. This is VERY powerful
4. Selected by Attribute and refined that selection further by selecting from a selection
5. Selected by Location (again a VERY powerful feature. I come from a database background so seeing these new ways to query information really interest me)
6. Exported the important data out and modified the symbology
7. Started creating the map for the deliverable.
8. Filled out the Metadata tables of the deliverable (note that I am having trouble finding the dates that the data is relevant for).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement. Color schemes and design are not my strong suit. I'm trying to read the Brewer book "Designing Better Maps" to see if I can improve my choices.

    ReplyDelete